At the Jokioinen Museum Railway there are two operational Move 21 diesel locomotives. Third of the series is under renovation. Locomotives were built in 1948.

There were total of 76 Move 2 diesel locomotive built after the World War II in years 1946-52. Locomotive were built as war reparations for the Soviet Union. All the locomotives were four axle locomotives equipped with a wood-gas generator which produced carbon monoxide from the wood to power the combustion engine of a locomotive. Of those 76 locomotives 10 stayed in Finland. Valmet Oy replaced their engines to normal diesel engines and change their type to Move 21. Those locomotives were sold forward to an engineering firm Saalasti, which was trying to sell the locomotive to various Finnish narrow gauge railways. The machine shop of Turenki Sugar Mill rebuilt five of the ten locomotives to broad gauge.


The locomotives number 1 and 3 were originally in use at Loviisa-Vesijärvi Railway from 1956 to 1960 and after the railway was rebuilt to broad gauge the locomotives were sold to Jokioinen Railway. The locomotive at Jokioinen Museum Railway without number  was originally used at Hyvinkää-Karkkila Railway from 1954 to 1967. Jokioinen railway bought this locomotive in 1967. Originally green locomotives were painted orange in 1970. There were total of four Move 21 locomotives at Jokioinen Musuem Railway (numbers 1, 2, 3 and the one without number "Karkkilalainen").

Number 1 was in use until 1972 and was bought to Jokioinen Museum railway in 1972 in very bad condition. The complete overhaul of the locomotive started in 1989 and it has been advancing slowly when there has been time of all the other work.

Number 2 was scrapped in 1968.

Number 3 was used at Jokioinen Railway until the railway was closed down in 1974 and after that on trains dismantling the track in 1974-75. After the track had been dismantled the locomotive stayed at Humppila from where it was transported by a truck to Minkiö after Jokininen Museum Railway bought it in 1976. The locomotive was out of service in 1979-86. In 1986 it was painted back to original green color. Today the locomotive is in use to haul the heritage and charter trains.


The locomotive bought from the Hyvinkää-Karkkila Railway and the one without number was in use until the Jokioinen Railway was closed down. After that the locomotive was sold to a private owner. The locomotive was transported to Lammi to a short stretch of a track where it ran sometimes. The locomotive was transported to Jokioinen Museum Railway in July 2007. The locomotive is still privately owned, but Jokioinen Museum Railway maintains and operates it.

Technical details (numbers 1, 3 and 'Karkkilalainen')

Operating railway: Loviisa-Vesijärvi Railway (1 ja 3), Hyvinkää-Karkkila Railway ('Karkkilalainen'), Jokioinen Railway

Builder: VMT Lentokonetehtaat

Builders numbers: 70 (number 1), 67 (number 3), 63 ('Karkkilalainen')

Year built: 1948

Weight in working order: 13,5 t

Length: 5 640 mm

Maximum train weight with heritage trains: 100 tonnia

Maximum speed:  31 km/t

Wheels: Ddm (4 poered wheels, diesel mechanical transmission)

Engine: Skandia/Valmet 440 D, for cylinder diesel engine, power 105 hv, cylinder capacity 16 litres

Fuel: Light diesel fuel

Brakes: Compressed air brake and mechanical parking brake